Dante Club Member Bylaws
ARTICLE I: NAME
The Organization shall be known as the DANTE CLUB OF SACRAMENTO, INC.
ARTICLE II: AIMS AND PURPOSES
It shall be the aims and purposes of the DANTE CLUB to be a SOCIAL CLUB; to encourage FRIENDSHIP; to provide ACTIVITIES for Club Members and Families; Sustain the ITALIAN HERITAGE; and be good CITIZENS in the community.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Section One: QUALIFICATIONS:
1. To be a member of the Dante Club, the Applicant shall be of good moral character. He shall fulfill the requirements of one of the classes listed below.
Section Two: CLASSES:
1. REGULAR MEMBERS:
a. He shall be Italian in origin as listed below:
(1) By birth.
(2) Both parents are of Italian origin or extraction.
(3) Either parent is of Italian origin or extraction.
(4) Grandfather or grandmother is of Italian extraction.
(5) He shall be 21 years of age or more.
2. ASSOCIATE MEMBERS:
a. An Associate Member can be non-Italian by birth or origin, but his spouse has to be the daughter of a member of the DANTE CLUB, either deceased or living, in good standing.
b. Associate Members shall not exceed 15%of the total membership of the Dante Club. They shall enjoy all rights and privileges of membership, except they cannot be nominated or elected to office.
3. LIFE MEMBERS:
a. Life Membership may be given to a member after the age of 65, if in the eyes of the Board of Directors, he has been a dues paying member in good standing for at least 30 years, and has served the club in an official capacity, or above and beyond the normal call of duty. He shall be approved by the General Membership. They shall be recommended by the Board of Directors and approved by the General Membership. They pay no dues and shall not be counted in the total membership. (amended 6/08)
b. Inactive Life Membership shall be given on request to those members who have been in good standing, but who become incapacitated and are unable to attend functions and meetings. They shall be recommended by the Board of Directors and approved by the General Membership. They pay no dues and shall not be counted in the total membership.
4. HONORARY MEMBERS:
a. An Honorary Member shall be one who has rendered or can render distinguished service to the club.
b. He can be of any national origin.
c. He shall be proposed by the President, and approved by the Board of Directors, for presentation to the General Membership for approval.
Section Three: DUES and INITIATION FEES:
1. The dues for classes No.1 and 2 shall be $100.00 per year. Classes No.3 and 4 shall pay no dues.v 2. The initiation fee for classes 1 and 2 shall be $100.00.
3. These Fees may be lowered by a Recommendation of the Board of Directors to the General Membership, by the same process as amending the By-Laws. Previous notice to members and a two-thirds majority of members present.
4. Dues shall be paid annually in advance. 5. Members currently serving in any branch of the armed forces who can provide A copy of written orders indicating that they have been assigned to a location that is not within one hour traveling distance to the Dante Club for a period of six months or more will be exempt from paying dues for the year(s) of their assignment. (Amended 3/12)
Section Four: ARREARAGE:
1. A member who is in arrears in his dues one month shall be considered delinquent, and shall be subject to the following restrictions. He shall be ineligible for nomination and election to any office. He may not participate in the Nomination or Election of Officers, nor vote on the question that requires a two-thirds majority, or the Amending of By-Laws.
2. A member who is in arrears 3 months or 90 days, and has been properly notified by the Financial Secretary, may be dropped from the rolls and lose all rights of a member.
3. Any member, whose membership in the Dante Club has been terminated in any manner, shall forfeit all interest in any funds, or other property of the Dante Club and all rights to the use of the Dante Club name, emblem or other insignia.
4. If a member becomes delinquent in his dues due to illness, or inability to pay, and if the Financial Secretary upon examination of his records, deems the reason just, the Board of Directors may suspend the payment of dues, without loss of membership.
Section Five: REINSTATEMENT OF MEMBERS:
1. A member who is in arrears 3 months or less may reinstate himself in good standing by fulfilling the following conditions:
a. Pay all back dues, and the balance of year's dues in advance.
2. A member who has been dropped from the rolls for nonpayment of dues may seek reinstatement as follows:
a. Upon receipt of the Dismissal Notice, which the Financial Secretary will mail by registered mail, the suspended member may appeal to the Board of Directors, either in person or in writing, stating the reason for the arrearage. This must be done by the 2nd Board Meeting following the receipt of the Notice.
3. The Board of Directors will make its recommendation to The General Membership and the members will vote on the reinstatement.
Section Six: LIMIT ON OF MEMBERSHIP (amend. 11/97)
1. Total membership of the Dante Club, including life members and associate members shall not exceed 380.
ARTICLE IV: ORGANIZATlON
Section One: OFFICERS:
1. BOARD OF DIRECTORS
a. The affairs and business of the Dante Club shall be managed by a Board of Directors consisting if fifteen (15) men. The Corresponding Secretary and Financial Secretary, although not considered to be part of the fifteen (15) member Board of Directors. shall attend Board of Director meetings and have the authority to vote on all matters concerning the Board of Directors.
b. They shall be nominated and elected annually from the membership at large. They shall hold office for one year, and continue in office until their successors are duly elected and installed.
c. The Board of Directors shall nominate and elect from its members the following officers: President, I" Vice President and 2nd Vice President.
a. The President shall be nominated and elected from the Membership of the Board of Directors. He shall serve for 1 year and shall continue in office until his successor is nominated and elected, and installed.
b. He shall be nominated and elected at a special meeting, held on the same night as the General Election. He shall be installed at the next regular meeting.
3. 1st VlCE- PRESIDENT:
a. He shall be nominated and elected from the membership of the Board on the same night as the General Election. His term shall be 1 year, and he shall continue in office until his successor is elected and installed. He shall be installed at the next regular meeting.
4. 2nd VICE-PRESIDENT:
a. The same as the 1st Vice-President.
5. CORRESPONDING SECRETARY:
a. The Corresponding Secretary shall be nominated and elected from the General Membership. He shall be installed at the next regular meeting.
6. FINANCIAL SECRETARY and TREASURER:
a. The Financial Secretary and Treasurer candidates shall be nominated and voted on by the General Membership. A review of the candidate receiving the highest number of votes will be conducted by the Board of Directors, or appointed committee, to determine his qualifications. If it is determined that the candidate meets the qualifications and/or experience set by the Board of Directors, the Board of Directors will then appoint the Finanacial Secretary and Treasurer based on that review.
b. If the Board of Direcors determins that the candidate receiving the highest number of votes does not meet the qualifications and/or experience set by the Board of Directors, a review of the candidate receiving the second highest number of votes will be conducted by the Board of Directors or appointed committee, to determine his qualifications. If it is determined that the candidate meets the qualifications and/or experience set by the Board of Directors, the Board of Directors will then appoint the Financial Secretary and Treasurer based on that review. This process will continue through the candidates until a Financial Secretary and Treasurer is appointed.
c. If none of the candidates meet the qualifications and/or experience set by the Board of Directors, a committee will be assigned by the President to determine the best course of action. (amended 11/06)
7. HOUSE MANAGER:
a. The qualifications for the House Manager shall be set by the Board of Directors.
b. The House Manager shall be appointed by the Board of Directors.
a. To be eligible for office in the Dante Club, the Candidate shall be in good standing in dues, and shall have been an active member for 24 months.
9. SERGEANT AT ARMS:
a. The President may, if he deems it necessary, appoint from the general membership a Sergeant at Arms.
Section Two: COMMITTEES:
1. After installation the President shall appoint the following Standing Committees:
ARTICLE V: POWERS and DUTIES of OFFICERS
Section One: BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
1. The Board of Directors, duly elected and installed as prescribed by the By.Laws, shall have the following powers and duties:
a. The Board shall have the right to hire and fire the House Manager.
b. They shall meet on the 2nd Monday of each month, to consider the following items:
1. Written Reports from the House Manager.
2. Shall approve and pay all bills contracted by the Dante Club.
3. Consider the acceptance or rejection of any project or social activity that involves the Dante Club.
c. In matters involving the expenditure of more than $5,000.00,the board shall consider the recommendation of the Finance Committee and present it to the General Membership.
d. The Board shall present a resume of its activities to the General Meeting.
e. The Board shall have the power to fill vacancies that may occur on the Board and Officers. These appointments shall be made from the General Membership, and the qualifications shall be the same as an elected officer.
f. Quorum: In order to transact business at least 5 Directors shall be present.
a. The President shall preside at all Meetings of the Dante Club and Directors.
b. He shall appoint all Standing and Special Committees needed to conduct the Business and affairs of the Dante Club. He shall be an Ex-Officio member of all Committees.
3. 1st VICE PRESIDENT:
a. He shall assume the Duties and powers of the President whenever the President is absent.
b. He shall be the Chairman of the Advisory Committee.
c. He shall serve on the Finance Committee.
4. 2nd VICE-PRESIDENT:
a. He shall assume the Duties and Powers of the President in case both are absent or disabled.
b. He shall be Chairman of the Membership Committee and serve on the Grounds and Building Committee.
5. CORRESPONDING SECRETARY:
a. It shall be the Duty of the Corresponding Secretary:
1. To take and keep exact Minutes of all of the Transactions and Business carried on at all General Meetings, Board Meetings and any other Special Meetings of the Dante Club.
2. He shall keep a complete up to date roster of the members.
3. He shall mail all necessary meeting notices.
4. He shall handle all correspondence.
5. His salary shall be set by the Board of Directors.
6. FINANCIAL SECRETARY & TREASURER:
a. It shall be the Duty of the Financial Secretary and Treasurer:
1. To keep an adequate set of books and records.
2. Upon receipt of the proper authority, he shall issue all checks.
3. The Financial Secretary-Treasurer shall make a report of the following:
a. Total Dues Collected.
b. Total Receipts received from the operation of the Club House.
c. Make a report on the Cash Condition of the Club.
d. Read the names of the members delinquent in dues.
e. Read all the bills approved for payment.
f. His salary shall be set by the Board of Directors.
4. To deposit all scholarship fund donations to a specific and separate bank-account, named "Scholarship Account".
a. Scholarship Account funds to be used 'for the sole purpose of providing Scholarship Awards to award recipients, as designated by the Scholarship Committee. ( Subsecton 4 Added 5/12)
7. HOUSE MANAGER:
a. The House Manager shall be hired by the Board of Directors.
b. He shall operate the business of the Club House, under the supervision of the Board and the necessary Committees.
c. His qualifications and salary will be set by the Board of Directors, and its Committees.
d. He shall present written reports to the Board of Directors.
e. He shall be subjected to a Bond of $10,000.00.
a. It shall be the duty of all the Elected Officers to attend all meetings; except under the following conditions:
2. Bona fide Excuse
3. A leave of absence granted by the Board.
b. If an Officer or Director is absent more than three consecutive meetings:
1. His office shall be declared vacant.
2. His successor shall be appointed by the Board of Directors from the General Membership.
ARTICLE VI: DUTIES & POWER OF STANDING COMMITTEES
Section One: FINANCE COMMITTEE:
1. The Finance Committee shall consist of 5 members; the 1st Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer, and 3 Directors shall constitute the Finance Committee. The Secretary-Treasurer shall be the Secretary.
2. The Finance Committee shall review all questions that involve the Finances of the Dante Club.
3. All projects that involve expenditure of monies, must be first reviewed by the Finance Committee and their recommendation given to the Board and membership.
4. The Finance Committee may have the power to require Budgets submitted covering the activities of the Dante Club.
5. The Finance Committee has the Power to audit the Books.
6. The Finance Committee must have a representative at the Register Reading, and the taking of the Inventory.
Section Two: ADVISORY or OPERATIONS COMMITTEE:
1. This Committee shall consist of 5 members. The 1st Vice President shall be chairman. The members of this Committee shall consist of the 1st Vice President, 2 Past Presidents and 2 Directors.
2. The Advisory Committee shall be the Contact between the House Manager and the Board and members. It shall convey the wishes of the Board to the Manager. It shall advise and aid the Manager in the operation of the Club House.
3. It shall assist the Finance Committee and House Manager in the taking of Inventories.
Section Three: GROUNDS & BUILDING COMMITTEE:
1. This Committee shall consist of 5 to 7 members; it shall be the Duty of the Grounds & Building Committee to supervise the Maintenance of the Building & Grounds, to recommend the necessary improvements.
Section Four: BY-LAWSCOMMITTEE:
1. The By-Laws Committee shall consist of 5 members.
2. It shall be the duty of the By-Laws Committee to receive, consider and pass on all Amendments before submission to the General Membership at a General Meeting.
3. This Committee shall be the Official Interpreter of the meaning and effect of these By-Laws.
a. This interpretation may be overridden by a majority of the members present.
Section Five: MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE:
1. This Committee shall consist of 5 members.
2. It shall solicit new members.
Section Six: INVESTIGATING COMMITTEE:
1. The Investigating Committee shall consist of 5 members.
2. This Committee shall receive the completed applications for membership, from the Secretary.
3. It shall investigate all applicants as to their qualifications for membership.
4. It shall report its recommendations to the General Meeting.
Section Seven: SOCIAL COMMITTEE:
1. The Social Committee shall consist of 7 to 11 members, the Chairman shall be a member of the Board of Directors.
a. It shall plan and recommend all forms of entertainment.
b. Under its jurisdiction the following events will be planned.
1. Cioppino Dinners
2. Christmas Dinner
3. Other Social Events
4. Monthly Raffle
c. The Chairman of the Social Committee shall appoint from the members of the Social Committee, the Chairman and members of the Raffle Committee.
Section Eight: PUBLICITY COMMITTEE:
1. This Committee shall consist of 1 or more members.
2. It shall provide all publicity of Club
Section Nine: SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: (Section added 5/12)
1. This Committee shall consist of 3 or more members.
2. It shall solicit scholarship applicants.3. It shall investigate all applicants as to their qualifications.
3. It shall investigate all applicants as to their qualifications.
4. It shall review and report its recommendations to the Board of Directors for approval.
5. It shall serve as Trustees of the Scholarship Funds and Scholarship Account.
Section Ten: SPECIAL COMMITTEES: (Amended 5/12)
1. The president shall appoint, at the necessary time, any special committees needed for special conditions.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS
Section One: REGULAR MEETINGS:
1. The regular meeting of the Dante Club shall be held on the 3rd Monday of each month except during July and August.
2. The Meeting shall be called to order at 8:00 p.m. Nine members, other than the President and Secretaries; shall constitute a Quorum.
3. All meetings shall be presided over by the President, in case of his absence the Vice Presidents will preside according to the By-Laws.
4. The following shall be the Order of Business and Procedure in the Conducting of Meetings:
a. Call to order
c. Quorum Call
d. Roll Call of Officers
e. Reading of Minutes of Previous Meetings
f. Reading of Correspondence
g. Report of Board, with Recommendations
h. Standing Committee Reports
Section Two: SPECIAL MEETINGS:
1. Special Meetings of the Board of Directors or the General Membership may be called by the President at his discretion to discuss special problems. However, the Agenda of such meetings must be stated on the Notices and shall be the only order of business. The addition of other business to the order of the day may be accomplished by a two-thirds majority of the members present.
2. Special Meetings may be called at the request of 2 or more members of the Board of Directors. These meetings are subject to the same rules as above.
3. Two or more members may request a Special Meeting, subject to the same conditions above.
ARTICLE VIII: NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
Section One: NOMINATIONS:
The Board of Directors and Officers shall be nominated and elected as provided in the following sections:
1. The Nominating Committee, consisting of 5 members of the Board of Directors, shall be appointed by the President at the November meeting of the Board of Directors.
2. The Nominating Committee shall nominate 5 candidates and make its report to the November general meeting. The members at the November general meeting shall nominate 10 or more candidates. To be placed on the ballot, candidates must be present at this meeting.
3. The Corresponding Secretary and the Financial Secretary-Treasurer shall be nominated from the floor at the November general meeting.
4. The Corresponding Secretary shall prepare a ballot containing the names of all of the qualified candidates.
Section Two: ELECTIONS:
1. The Election of the Board of Directors and Corresponding Secretary shall be held during the December general meeting. The 15 candidates with the largest number of votes shall be designated as the Elected Board of Directors. (amended 11/06)
2. During an intermission of the General Meeting the newly elected Board shall hold a special meeting. At this meeting, the New Board shall nominate and elect from its members the following officers:
b. 1st Vice-President.
c. 2nd Vice-President.
This will be the only business transacted at this special meeting.
3. Immediately after the Special Meeting, the General Meeting will reassemble and the New Officers will be introduced.
Section Three: TIES:
1. In case of a tie vote in the ballots cast for Director or Officers the following procedure shall be used:
a. A new ballot containing the names of the candidates who were tied will be prepared.
b. There will be a new vote cast.
c. If the number of ballots cast is deemed to be too large to count at this meeting the results may be announced at the next meeting or at a special meeting.
d. If there are only two parties to the tie, and if both candidates are agreeable, the flip of a coin may be used to break the tie. Otherwise the casting of a secret ballot is the only method.
ARTICLE IX: NEW MEMBERS
Section One: APPLICATIONS:
1. Applications for membership in the Dante Club shall be made as follows:
a. The applicant shall complete a regular form, furnished by the club, answering all questions.
b. The application shall be signed by the applicant and one sponsor. The application shall then be forwarded by mail to the chairman of the membership committee.
The chairman of the membership committee shall report all applications received at the next scheduled meeting of the Board of Directors.
c. After the application has been read at the Board of Directors meeting, it shall be referred to the Investigating Committee. The report of the Investigating Committee shall be given at the General Meeting.
d. If no vacancies exist on the rolls of the Dante Club, the application shall be filed and processed in the order received.
e. If there are applications on file and a vacancy exists, the applications will be processed on an alternate basis: to wit, one son of a member and one non-son of a member.
f. If there is a waiting list, the initiation fee and dues will be due and payable upon notification of acceptance and before initiation.
Section Two: BALLOTING ON APPLICATIONS:
1. Applications, after being reviewed and approved by the Investigating Committee, shall be read at the general meeting. They shall be balloted upon at the same meeting.
2. The ballot box will be prepared by the Sergeant at Arms, appointed by the President The President shall examine the ballot box and if it is in order the balloting will proceed.
3. Applications receiving an unfavorable ballot (three black balls) will be rejected. However, upon a motion duly made, seconded and carried, another ballot may be taken at the same meeting. If there is no second ballot proposed, the rejected candidate may apply again in 6 months by completing a new application. If the candidate who has been rejected has paid the necessary fee, the Financial Secretary will refund the total amount paid.
4. If there is more than one application, there will be one ballot cast for all of the applications. If the ballot is unfavorable, then each application will be balloted individually.
5. The above procedure may be set aside upon a proper motion, made, seconded and approved by unanimous consent of the total number of members in attendance at the meeting.
6. Applicants shall be notified by the Corresponding Secretary of their acceptance or rejection.
a. Such a member may be reinstated to membership by a unanimous vote of the members present at a General Meeting.
ARTICLE X: EXPULSION of MEMBERS
1. All members shall be of good moral character and law abiding. Members who have been unappealably convicted of a felony shall be automatically stricken from the rolls.
The Financial Secretary is authorized, after having duly ascertained that there was such a conviction, to cancel the membership.
2. Members may be expelled from the Club for any reason, which may be deemed sufficient by a majority of the members present at a General Meeting.
ARTICLE XI: AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the By-Laws may be presented as follows:
1. The proposed Amendment must be in writing by a member in good standing, it must be endorsed by 2 members in good standing.
2. The proposed Amendments are to be presented to the President, who will refer it to the By-Laws Committee for proper Drafting: The By-Laws Committee shall present it at the next meeting.
3. A proposed Amendment must be read at 2 consecutive meetings.
4. The Amendments will be voted on the meeting succeeding the 2 consecutive meetings.
5. The Membership must be notified, and a two-thirds majority of the number present is necessary for the adoption of said Amendments.
ARTICLE XII: SPECIAL USE of HALLS & RENT
The President, the Chairman of the Advisory Committee, and Finance Committee, shall sit as a Committee, and have the authority to grant to an Individual, Organization, or Committee the use of the Halls, either at a reduced rental, or rent free, subject to the following conditions:
1. The Individual, Organization or Committee, has rendered the Dante Club some Special Service.
2. If it is considered to be Good for the Present and Future Welfare of the Club.
3. Or if in the Committees Judgment it is a Special Occasion.
ARTICLE XIII: RULES of PROCEDURE
1. Robert's Rules of Parliamentary Procedure shall govern the Conduct of the Meetings of the Dante Club.
2. The Chairman of the By-Laws Committee shall act as Parliamentarian.